Wednesday, January 06, 2010

For the Love of Running


I am a runner. I have discovered that which I love. It is freedom. It is ability. It is challenge. It is stress relief. It is fresh air. It is difficult. It is time alone. It is time spent in the sweet presence of others. It is blissful silence. It is noisy, excited chatter. It is sweet fellowship with coaching, encouraging, motivational husband. It is the belief he has in me to do anything I set my mind to. It is the love of pushing myself to see what else lies within me....what I am capable of. It is the appreciation of being healthy...loving and being so entirely grateful for the functioning body God has given me. It is the hot oatmeal and cup of coffee waiting at the end. It is appreciation for all of life. It is the joy of finishing. It is the exhilaration of attaining a goal. It is motivation to accomplish other things that I thought I could never do. It brings clarity. It means a productive day lies ahead. It is the love of always going farther than before. It is the growth of those things which make one a better person. It is.....Perseverance. Determination. Passion. Strength. Challenge. Power. Commitment. Endurance. Effort. Purpose. Self Discipline.


Determination is often the first chapter in the book of excellence.



Yes, I love to run. What began as a fun goal to motivate turned into the discovery of a new love. So it is that I will run my first 5K on March 6th at the annual River Run. Granted, this is not a far distance by any stretch of the imagination as it is only 3 .1 miles but there was a day I could not even run for a full two minutes. When I began I would get to 1 min:51 sec and was quite certain imminent death was only a heartbeat away. And I am by far worlds away from being the most graceful, feminine, perfectly postured, inspiring runner. I am not that 130 pound, long haired beauty out there.....but the love and passion for it are there. I say all of that to say....it is possible. It is all possible."The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
To bring some reality to my current running ability.....a conversation that took place while out yesterday afternoon.

Grayson (effortlessly running with me): "Mom, is this hard for you?"

Me (only managing one word answers): "Nope."

Grayson: "Are you tired yet?"

Me: "Nope."

Grayson: "Then why are you breathing so hard?"

Me: "Cause."

Grayson: "And you're going slow too."


Ummm......thank you, son. Nothing like a little reality to it all. I proceeded to inform him... between gasping breaths.....that I knew I could go farther so I pushed on despite the urge to stop. He then stated in his ever practical view of life that if I could continue on then I could speed up....so the challenge was on to sprint the remaining distance home. Down 1/4 of the street, around the corner, down the driveway. And we did. Of course, I about passed out when we got there and he won...but I did it.


The difference in the unattainable and the attainable lies in a person's determination.



To me it's important for them to see the importance of not quitting...the perseverance of it all. How can I expect them to go the distance and stretch themselves if I do not practice it myself? How can I expect 100% of their effort if I have not taught them how to give it? How can I expect self discipline of them if I myself have none?

There is one quality which one must possess to attain the goal......and that is clarity of purpose. This is the knowledge of what one wants and a burning desire to achieve it.


So, I run. I run because I just like it. I love the way it makes me feel...what it requires of me....what it gives back to me. I run for me. For Brad. For my children. Out of total gratefulness for my body. I run because I can.


I have a goal. 5K. March 6th.

Where there is passion and desire there will always be new horizons.

Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second.


Believe in yourself. You must do that which you think you cannot.
Integrity comes when character is tested.


The greatest waste in the world is the difference between what we are and what we could become.

10 comments:

Chris said...

Every post of yours I read, I discover we are more and more alike (even the nose piercing!)

I love to run. But. The only free time I can seem to find is after the children go to bed. We live in the country. I tried running one night after dark and I was just terrified. I know it's irrational but all of the assorted animal noises, the creaking of the pump jacks, the total blackness of a road without lights is just very scary to me. Do you struggle with that at all? If you do, how have you handled it?

Chris

Becky said...

Ah Nikki, you make me want to get out and run. I was actually thinking of writing a "running" post the other day. I used to be a runner. I have always loved to run. It was so pathetic when I went out the day before yesterday. It was my first time to run since before Tyrel was born I think. It was more of a fast walk/slow jog, and I didn't even make it to the gate. BUT, it reminded me of my love for running. As soon as it warms up again, I am going to start running again. (Haha, even in my best days of running as a 17 year old, I wouldn't run in below freezing temps.) Of course in my "best days of running" I only ran about 2 or 3 miles a day.

Nikki Bettis said...

Chris... you have a nose piercing too??!! Doesn't get much better than that! LOL!

We live very rurally too. I take the dogs with me if it's very early morning or late night. Brad is rarely home these days to run with me so I just take dogs..or kids...or both. LOL! We have massive amounts of raccoons, rattlesnakes and skunks and I am terrified of smelling like skunk for days or tripping over a snake!!! Dogs will usually alert me before I ever reach them and run them off. I used to be terrifed of the sounds the deer made since I can never see them until they take off in front of me but I have come to love that part. I hear the rustle and know they're about to dart. There's usually a herd of 7 or so in the same spot so I know to look for them. As long as they don't plow me over I'm good with them. Dogs are good for them too. I love the dark. We have lights around the few nearby houses but once I get out on the highway it's total all consuming moonlight...or darkness. I love running late more than early but I find my day is much better if I just do it early. And I find it is good for the pratice of overcoming my fears since nothing quite overcomes them like staring them right in the face! Oh yeah...you can run with a gun...just put the safety on! LOL!

Nikki Bettis said...

Becky...wanna do the 5K with us? I can't wait!! Brad, Grayson and Evye are running it wth me. That'd be so much fun to all do it together! Motivation!

kthompson98 said...

Girl, you are CRAZY...I just got off the treadmill...and I am sitting at the computer, trying to breathe normally again...and its a battle! You are gonna have to keep cheering me on!!

Becky said...

Yeah, that would be awesome. It would give me a good reason to keep it up when I get bored. :) Do I have to sign up or anything, or just show up?

I'll even see if I could convince Stephen to join. He doesn't like to run as much as I do...but he has a good excuse. He has a bad knee.

Nikki Bettis said...

I'm excited!! I figure the more people that are all there together the more motivation to get to the end without giving up! The most popular question from everybody right now seems to be "what if I show up pregnant between now and then?" but I still plan on participating so we can definitely plan to do this together. I honestly don't think I will but one can always hope. :)

Yes..you can sign up before the race or go to http://www.roadlizards.org/

and they have a membership app you can print off and mail in. I don't think they have a way of submitting it over the web. You can click on the calendar, go to March and see the 5K scheduled. It gives the email address and contact info for the guy in charge. I've filled out all of our apps but still have to mail them in w/ a check. I've already talked to one of the guys named Ben up there and I loved him. So encouraging and said Grayson and Evye could definitely participate...that it's a great distance for both. He recommended Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running and I have loved it. I've already finished it but continue to train by it.

March it is!

Gottjoy! said...

This was my goal after losing little Rebekah! My 14 year old daughter and I both plan to run in our local 5K this spring. Terrified is not a word strong enough of how I feel (Well, okay maybe slow. out of shape. out of breath. looney). Keep posting so to encourage us...

Blessings...

Anonymous said...

Missed reading your blog, played catch up today...your so beautiful Nikki love the pictures.....

Nikki Bettis said...

Karen...I love that you are doing this too!!! Since there are so many people that have expressed interest and/or want to take part both via comments and personal emails I have received I thought I might post every Friday on my progress...running times and workouts on my off running days. Hopefully this will prove to motivate and y'all could even post your progress and accomplishments so that we can do this journey together despite the many miles that separate. I will begin to make Fridays a Progress Post Day...hopefully...if I can remember. :) We will do this together and attain our goal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...