“Faith's
most severe tests come not when we see nothing, but when we see a stunning
array of evidence that seems to prove our faith vain.”
I don't
understand His love for me. I never will. Amazing grace seems insufficient to
even begin to explain....yet I continue to learn so intimately what John Newton
felt when he penned and composed. I rant, I vent, I grow hugely insanely angry,
and fight it all violently at times. I should not be loved like I am. I
shouldn't know the love of a husband like I do. This human, fallible love he
gives....embracing all faults, loving so unconditionally, encompasses,
comforts, wraps like a blanket, understands, laughs with me, makes me
laugh...it is only a glimpse of just how much I am loved.....and forgiven....by
a God that really does not forsake or abandon...that forgives the absolute
disrespect I can exhibit in such anger. Did
He pay the Verizon bill? No. Has the house sold? No. Has anything changed? Not
really.... except for maybe being about 20 degrees cooler. But, bottom line, I
either believe Him or I don't. And I KNOW how faithful He is. I have seen Him
work within our lives over and again. When I back up and attempt to see the
forest, instead of being so insanely lost in the trees, the more I grasp just
how big He really is....and how little I really am.
We
finally, after months and months, attain permission from cheapy landlord, to
call in a/c man of our choice. Only stipulation....we foot the bill. No more landlord pervert friends armed with
walking canes descending flooded basement steps to peek at unit and say all is
well. After more than a week of no a/c
at all, and my complete inability to cope gracefully with it, I am once again
painfully and humbly reminded how much I think I am "owed" in life. We pray for missionaries in Mexico, Guatemala,
Africa. We serve people in local community
at food pantry that live daily without this amenity. Yet...I grow outraged and
write seemingly sacrilegious and taboo posts, hopelessly long in nature,
questioning His sovereignty and how He has forsaken us? I state the issue is far more complicated and
has to do with His silence, the obvious abandonment of us, the fact that I pray
and there is nothing. But, reality is, I
overcomplicate every aspect in a failing attempt to excuse my attitude. Does He even need to speak right now? And who am I to demand an answer from Him, God
Almighty, who has forgiven and loved...even still? I ask where. I ask why. Where was He when she was raped and beaten? Still a question I ponder and contemplate. A fragile trust that bears raw wounds to this
day. Over and again I am reminded that
He was right where He is now....right beside me as I failed.....right there to
pick up the pieces when all of world came crashing down. Why didn't He protect her? Why didn't He step in and save? He could've had mercy. He could've protected...guardian angels
everywhere. If He truly exists and we
trust Him to protect...then why didn't He?
“Our vision is so limited we can hardly imagine a love that does not show itself in protection from suffering. The love of God is of a different nature altogether. It does not hate tragedy. It never denies reality. It stands in the very teeth of suffering. The love of God did not protect His own Son. This was the proof of His love – that He gave that Son, that He let Him go to Calvary’s cross, though “legions of angels” might have rescued Him. He will not necessarily protect us- not from anything it takes to make us like His Son. A lot of hammering and chiseling and purifying by fire will have to go into the process.”
Questions....thousands
fill head. But, His ways are higher. And while actions were intended for evil He
comes transforming into His glory and for our good. I still don't have answers
to so many of the questions...thoughts that leave one so vulnerable to rooted
emotions of feeling entirely forsaken and abandoned. I don't know. I honestly don't know....but one thing of
which I am completely and totally confident....I. Am. Loved.
And His mercy runs rampant throughout my
life....threads...thousands upon thousands of them....woven like tapestry
throughout my entire life. I don't know
the rest of the answers. I may never
know. It is not up to me to understand
Him. So, I will be content with the fact
that I simply do not know. But then, at
times, is not "I don't know" the very humblest of beginnings for
understanding? "We are not asked to SEE. Why need we when we KNOW? We know...not
the answer to the inevitable 'why', but the incontestable fact that it is for
the best. It is an irreparable loss, but is it faith at all if it is 'hard to
trust' when things are entirely bewildering?"
"God
is God. I dethrone Him in my heart if I demand that He act in ways that satisfy
my idea of justice. It is the same spirit that taunted 'If thou be the Son of
God, come down from the cross.' There is unbelief, there is even rebellion, in
the attitude that says, 'God has no right to do this...."
"God
is God. I dethrone Him in my heart if I demand that He act in ways that satisfy
my idea of justice." This alone breaks down the absolute foundation of my
argument. Conviction comes gripping the defiant, self entitled, noncompliant heart.
Death to self.....it's a painful, gruesome, bloody mess to witness. There is no clean, pretty body in coffin but
the messy act of death that takes place. Yet somehow, because of Him, it is
transformed in to the ugly, messy beautiful as His grace and mercy come saving.
“I realized that the deepest spiritual lessons are not learned by His letting
us have our way in the end, but by His making us wait, bearing with us in love
and patience until we are able to honestly pray what He taught His disciples to
pray: Thy will be done.”
Thy will
be done.
So I scream and take His name in vain and demand
with self entitled heart? Early morning hours lying sleepless, picture takes
shape within head. I realize with eyes wide open what it would be to do the
same fit throwing standing within His presence, in front of throne, looking
into selfless eyes that gave all. Would I do then what I do now...if only I
could see? No. Much like a woman willing to abort because she has never held
baby in arms, because tiny life is not real and tangible to her. I don't know
of any woman having just given birth, no matter the circumstances behind
conception, that could take the life of tiny, wide-eyed innocence. Yet they
abort because it is not made real. Tiny blob of tissue far away from reality,
beating heart silenced because they could not see or understand the reality of
what grew beneath their own flesh. Give that same woman a chubby cheeked,
helpless baby and not one would kill. Because
they held and looked into the blue eyes of reality. There is no doubt woman has
no malicious, seeded contempt to kill. And I ponder long into darkness if this
is the way He loves and continues to forgive....grace made new every moment of
every day. Forgiveness cloaking human nature and the complete inability to see
and believe, that which is yet unseen, but still, very much, reality? If I
could only see….
Would I
pitch this same kind of temper tantrum and scream into the face that I could
see? Blue eyes piercing soul as I scream in anger over trivial, as He gazes
straight at me from cross in the midst of childish rant and whispers, "I
still love you." Much like when my own children cry over boundaries and
think it a total injustice when we, as parents, run fingers through their hair
and soothe, "I still love you. I know you're disappointed but I still love
you. We are protecting you. There is so much better ahead." Grace,
forgiveness, mercy poured like rain knowing immature thoughts cannot conceive
of the love that is being shown them. If I could only see with spirit
eyes.....there would be no railing, no screaming.....just the inability to
stand within His presence, prostrate before Him at the sheer knowledge of just
who He is and the magnitude of His sovereignty.
I know
Him. I have tasted Him, touched Him, felt Him embrace all of being, scooping up
when mortal body lays crumpled on floor screaming at the injustice of allowing
6 year old girl to suffer and reap the consequences of my absolute failure as a
parent. His story never ends with ashes. I know that intimately. I see His
grace hand covering the life of a little girl that suffered at my hands. So I
experience this and then so boldly demand He work in ways that I understand????
Raised in such legalism, self righteous life, reputation to uphold as all
silently suffer....yet I have been saved and I know grace intimately. Sweet
grace that does not require acts of service or adherence to rules to be
accepted by God. Only love. I am not entrapped and enslaved as some that have
grown in that world. For whatever reason....He saved me and I know freedom far
beyond what most people will ever know. He has given understanding to flee past
and transforms into glory. Have I forgotten what He has done on our behalf...my
behalf? Have I forgotten all that He has done? Hot tears fall in dark, sticky
night. And I ponder all the ways of a God I cannot even begin to truly fathom.
I think of day I will see Him face to face...and I marvel at my inability to
cope with trivial inconveniences of present after all I have been given the
opportunity to see in life...wisdom only He can give through painful encounters
with the cross.
Air
conditioning, business owning, Sunday school teacher arrives after more than a
week of humid, indoor heat. He assesses and after months of questionable a/c
performance, house too hot for comfort all summer long, and an hour and a half
of work all problems have been fixed. Church going people who read this blog,
who could so easily judge where questioning heart lies, who could condemn so
easily, yet there is mercy. Kind eyes, painfully introverted man talks to
husband. Little boys gather around and
"help" as he works. He smiles and includes them, they chatter, he
works. After all is taken apart and put back together he drives away....and
there is no charge for services. No charge for labor, parts, gas expense. Just
unconditional love from a man that could've judged, could've condemned. But he
didn't. And I see Jesus.....that just drove away in an F350.
Air
condition cools for the first time in months. Happy children laugh and load
van. I follow behind husband in truck and ponder this thing called life, God,
Jesus, self, sacrifice, and everything in between. Tears...they fall like
steady rain. So humbled by a God that shows mercy and forgiveness to the
outrageously angry, demanding heart. I didn't deserve the mercy I was shown by
air conditioning, teacher man. I deserved to pay 350.00 for services provided.
I didn't deserve any kindness at all. Relentless head continues ponderings of
the soul....had I continued on with my attempts at good attitude perhaps I
would've "earned" His kindness? Does it take God bringing me to the absolute
end of rope...so many times over and again along this journey.....to see that
when I am weakest then He comes saving.....working? When there is no hope of
any goodness within left....His mercy saves?
Tears
fall all the way across town as I feel His presence. And I know I am not crazy.
I am not out there so far past His reach. He has not forgotten us. Not much has
changed at all but I know what it is to touch Him, to feel Him and for His
presence to come embracing in the midst of all the pain, all the messed up,
screwed up perceptions of Him. Even as I
wonder why...even still.
“When
obedience to God contradicts what I think will give me pleasure, let me ask
myself if I love Him.”
“God
never withholds from His child that which His love and wisdom call good. God's
refusals are always merciful -- "severe mercies" at times but mercies
all the same. God never denies us our hearts desire except to give us something
better.”
“Waiting
on God requires the willingness to bear uncertainty, to carry within oneself
the unanswered question, lifting the heart to God about it whenever it intrudes
upon one's thoughts.”
“God is
God. Because he is God, He is worthy of my trust and obedience. I will find
rest nowhere but in His holy will that is unspeakably beyond my largest notions
of what he is up to.”
Shaking
like a leaf,
afraid to
lift my eyes
Afraid of
all your glory,
Ashamed
of all my pride
........then
You call me in to Your Holy place…..
And I fall down...down on my face
And I beg
for Your mercy
And I beg
You to forgive everything that I've ever done
And I
tremble. I tremble within Your presence.
I am just
a man,
showered
in Your grace
I beg You
for mercy.
We are
standing on Holy ground.
And I
know that there are angels all around.
We are
standing in Your presence on Holy ground.
If I
could only see.
I can
only imagine.
What will
it be like when I walk by Your side?
What will
I see when Your face is before me?
Surrounded
by Your glory, what will my heart feel?
Will I
dance for you or in awe just be still?
Will I
stand in Your presence or to my knees will I fall?
Will I be
able to speak at all?
Surrounded
by Your glory what will my heart feel?
Oh God,
that you would give me eyes now to see with my limited vision. How vast are
You, How great Your ways. Even when heart cries in question, when tongue lashes
out, when head screams in opposition, body screams in discomfort. You're here.
I'm Yours and I'm lost in You. When I feel like I'll never be healed. Oh, when
I ache and feel like I'll never be saved. When I've given up.....You come. When
I feel like I'll never atone for all the love I've been shown, when there's
nothing left. You still come. Where You go I will follow on my knees. I'll risk
the ocean cause there's only grace. That sea without a shore is nothing but
your grace in my suffering. And I'm just lost in You.
It's the
moment when humanity is overcome by majesty
when
grace is ushered in for good and all my scars are understood
when
mercy takes its rightful place and all these questions fade away
when out
of weakness I must bow and hear you say "It's over now"
Oh that
you would come and break my fear
Awake and
take my tears, Find your glory even here
When the
hurt and the healer collide.
Here I
am...all that's left of me. May I be stripped of all my humanness so only that
which is You remains.
All
quotes by Elisabeth Elliot. Lyrics by Mercyme, David Crowder.






1 comments:
amen....love you my friend
Post a Comment