Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Celebrity Status?

I think it is safe to say that you have reached freak show status when you are walking through the parking lot of Wal Mart with everybody in tow and people stop to take pictures of your family. We were a bit strung out in a line as Grayson pushed Gavin in the cart. Brad wore Ivye in the backpack carrier as he brought up the rear making sure we had everybody and they were within sight. I noticed a couple of women standing together putting sacks into the trunk of a car. I suppose I wouldn't have stayed so tuned into them had they not made a spectacle of themselves by nudging and poking each other nodding and pointing fingers in the general direction of our family. They counted, which is no knew thing to us by any stretch of the imagination, so I just smiled and kept walking. Maybe having given them an invitation by this small gesture they then turned fully towards us, stopped all they were doing and leaned against their car to do nothing but observe our train in progress. Brad sped up his pace a little to catch up with me while he said laughingly in total amusement, "They were taking pictures of us!" I teased back, "What? Did they rip out the camera?'" In total seriousness he replied back in all honesty that they were both taking pictures of us with their cell phones. People never cease to amaze me. Course I guess we never cease to amaze them. I'm thinking they ought to be commended if they got us all in one shot. Cell phone limitations and a train of people strung out over some 5 parking spaces, at least. But it was quite the first for us. I suppose had they asked we would've just posed for them. It's a funny thought.





We splurged a little and made Grant's entire year by eating at Rosa's then continued on to Sam's where the majority of all of the shopping is done these days. After our brush with "local fame" in the Wal Mart parking lot we were having quite the time teasing everybody about it. Little did we know that wasn't quite the end of it for the day. As always, we ran into the ever loyal employees that know us all by name. We talked and chatted and somehow word had gotten around about baby #9. I thought that was a bit funny since we'd only told one of the 20 or so employees that greet us and love on the children. As we wandered our way through we eventually saw one of the older sample ladies and she got to going about the whole Jon and Kate thing.....yes, we hear that a ton - I suppose people can't help comparing....and then she proceeds on. Things of how everyone in Sam's has voted that our family should have a TV show. I have yet to figure out what is so alluring about watching a woman do wash, potty train and change diapers all day and running around in circles digging in kids butts since they can't seem to get chores done ...or at least, completed well enough to meet the standards that are expected of them. After filling us in that they would be willing to nominate us for a show if we were willing to do one she then informed us that we had been voted and won "Family of the Year" award at Sam's. I couldn't help but laugh outloud at that one. I laughingly asked exactly how this came to be. She informed us that all of their employees had sat around at one of their employee meetings and discussed our family along with a few other regulars. She said our family had won the affection of everyone hands down and that we had been voted the family with the most well behaved, beautiful, social children in the history of Sam's. I couldn't bring myself to inform her that all the Sam's crew needed was a day spent at our home to let us topple off the pedestal they have so lovingly placed us upon. I just replied back with honest humility at this point and still some humor at the whole conversation that it takes LOTS of work to get to this point. It hasn't always been like this and it still is not quite reality when we are all out. They act this well because we work very hard on it at home behind closed doors...and we, of course, beat the crap out of them when we get home if they dare look at us the wrong way in public. Ok, not really. That was just for CPS's benefit. But I did say that in all honesty we do work hard at home and that, contrary to popular belief, we do not just naturally have good children. I am again amazed at the number of people that come to us saying that we are so lucky to just have such naturally good children. Ok people. You think this comes naturally????!!!!!! This is a 24/7 hour job of sheer consistency and years of hard work to finally get to this point in life. I figure it took 11 years to get here. This most definitely does not come naturally. Just come spend a day within our home and you will suddenly be privy to the mere natural state of self in 8 children 11 years and under that are born with a natural desire to please only one's self. Suddenly the selfish human nature each and every person is born with is just so plainly seen in raw form when spending any length of time in our little abode. We have spent many many years teaching them and instructing them how to give of one's self and to ignore the ever present tug to forget all else and live for your own desires. Years of teaching how to serve, love, respect, protect, give and so on..and to do it all joyfully. Ummmm....yeah right. I think that must be the slowest part of the whole process. But I suppose it is finally becoming evident to the many around us that apparently so closely watch and admire our little crew of 8. At least it's a bit present when we're out.

Alright...so didn't mean to get on a soap box. But the whole "coming naturally" thing just never ceases to amaze me that people can actually think you and your husband actually concoct good natured children. If genetics play any role I think Brad's and my genes, when mixed together to create another human being, must create the most stubborn, strong willed, determined, focused individuals on the planet....with the exception of Evye. I think it is fairly safe to say she missed out on every one of those traits. Somewhere in there she got the laid back, creative, artistic, slow moving, time is not of the essence gene that must have come from generations past.

All of that to say, we thought it a bit comical that we have now been voted as "Family of the Year" at Sam's Wholesale Club. Yee haw! Now...if that actually carried any weight with it...like maybe free groceries for a year....it might actually be worthy of pumping the ego a bit. But, as is, I guess it is safe to say that we are just about the most well loved of their shoppers and that's about the extent of the "award" that goes with the title. It is a healthy dose of encouragement and it never fails to boost my confidence and enthusiasm for what it is my days consist of. Lots of consistency, lots of love, lots of patience....and patience, my dear ones, contrary to popular belief, does NOT come naturally to me....and lots of organization....most of the time...ok, some of the time....or well, more like a small fraction of the time.

So I suppose in some small tiny portion of west Texas we have attained some form of fame. Who would've ever guessed what would come with a vision and such a sweet calling one felt God has placed upon their life as a couple? Who would've ever known there would be so many rewards to something that is such a personal decision to make in one's life...to have as many kids as humanly possible? Who would've ever guessed one could actually attain "Family of the Year" award at Sam's Wholesale Club?????? I think we have reached the pinnacle of life by this achievement. Who needs TLC or reality shows??? Just go shop at Sam's.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think the McKims ever got family of the year at Sams! I am impressed.

Momofmany said...

LOL~~we get the John and Kate comparison a lot also--now that we are expecting #5 and #6 that is....
LOVE what you have to say about discipline and a lot of hard work!! I just hope we can be examples while out too---the best compliment was at a Dollar General the other day when the cashier told us he really appreciated our well-behaved children (not even strapped into carts that day!!). We were the best customers he'd had all day! Such an encouragement to me [and my dh].

Nikki Bettis said...

Colin!! How did you find me here? Scott and I still remember the trip to see y'all well. We've talked of what it would be for the 2 of us to head that way again to catch up but I'm not sure I could ever get away and I'm really not sure you'd want ALL of us visiting. LOL! If we're ever out that way it'd be fun to hook up. We get as far as Hobbs on a regular basis but don't get up as far as you are very much.

And I'm quite sure the McKims never got that award but I'm thinking they won the Bill Gothard Family of the Year award hands down. That supercedes any mere Sam's thing we have going. Though rumor has it they were as dyfunctional as our family was. LOL!

How's your dad? Did you know Scott's in LA now? Crazy.

tlmhuntress said...

Don't ever think even in a low moment that all of your hard work hasn't paid off. Your children demonstrate character that you don't see in many others. You are amazing........Love you, M

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...