written Sept 20, 2006Country life at its best. Not only did we have the joy of encountering it........it was in the playroom where the children have played for the last few days. Since I can't send our pics we looked it up and ID'd it on the web. It was a juvenile..........I'm really glad we didn't encounter it full grown!!!!!!!!!......despite the fact it's non-venomous it grows to 6 ft in length! And on our way to locate a glove in the workshop we then nearly stepped on a massive tarantula! We took pics of it too but, of course, can't send those either. The thing was as big as a tupperware lid! It was all hairy and everything......just like the pics in books that you want to forever stay in the books. And then on my way out to get a bucket on the front porch to put the snake in a freakin bat flew out of the rafters and scared the crap out of me. Needless to say, I've had all of the nocturnal wildlife I can take for awhile. But I did stand in absolute awe of the millions and millions of stars up above and how absolutely amazing they are in their numbers and bright brilliance as Brad shot the snake to death. After coming in and identifying what kind it was AFTER he shot it then he got all mad that he killed it. It was a fiesty little booger and freakin struck at us every time we even shined the light on it. He could strike so far that he came 1/2 way out of the bucket...............not my thing at all. Snakes, tarantulas and bats all in a day's work. Ugh!
I'm really truly glad it wasn't a rattlesnake though. 3 neighbors have sent word around that they've found baby rattlesnakes in their flowerbeds up next to their houses. One was so tiny it only had one rattle and you couldn't even hear it until you got down close to it. That freaked me out. Hopefully the dogs' noise will help keep them at bay. Obviously, it didn't really phase this guy.

http://www.houstonherp.com/TxRat.html
http://www.bugsinthenews.com/Texas%20Snake%20Web/juvenile_texas_rat_snake_Oct03_Frisco.htm





0 comments:
Post a Comment