
I have no pictures to post of this spontaneous...and somewhat insane.....road trip we committed ourselves to but the day that resulted was rated far above the usual fun we have. With all of my entire family living 3 or so hours northeast of us and all of the big life happening there we make fairly regular trips up that way and see them often. Midwives, children's resale stores and anything somewhat out of the ordinary are found up there. Brad's parents live 3 hours west of us and not much is there. So it is that our trips west are not as often as trips northward since there isn't much errand running to do out that way. We see his family often these days as we all rendezvous as his grandparents regularly. So, rarely do we head that direction. We had thought of doing this last year and honestly, I'm not sure why we didn't or what happened but this year it all came together and Brad was off. Due to Brad being on shift Saturday the plans included me waking at an ungodly hour of the morning and readying everyone for a surprise visit to his parents' church to say Happy Mother's Day in person. It did cross my mind as I stood bleary eyed trying to make something out of the reflection that glared back at me in the bathroom mirror at 5 am that this was a bit insane. Here it was Mother's Day and instead of sleeping in and being served breakfast in bed I was awake 2 hours earlier than normal and working my butt off already. With church clothes having been gathered and organized the day before and play clothes packed into a small bag, diaper bag loaded, the children were awakened at 6 am and went through their early morning....VERY early morning.....routine. 5 pair of blue jeans laid across couch, 3 pink polka dotted, newly pressed dresses hung from hangers. Boys wore dark shirts for the trip there so no breakfast smears and smudges ruined church attire. Five crisp and clean white shirts hung at the back of the van waiting to be donned when we arrived at church. Easily slipped on with the jeans and nice boots they already wore made breakfast on the road and cleanliness issues easy and saved the white shirts from inevitable chocolate milk drips and smeared granola bars. With van loaded and children church ready we pulled out at 7 am as the sun began working its way high into the sky. We met Brad at the station, took a bathroom break...yes, only 32 miles into it.....and continued our way westward. With happy, excited kids munching on our road trip breakfast packed the night before, the younger ones finally succumbed to sleep as we rolled along on our 3 hour journey. Once unloaded the boys quickly changed shirts, got hair gel-ed and girls smoothed out wrinkles. Much to my delight we arrived perfectly on time, before the first sounds of the song service had even started.
Somehow we had managed to pull it off and everyone involved had managed to keep our surprise under wraps. With squeals of delight from Brad's mom the children greeted her. Suddenly the hours of preparation became entirely worthwhile in only seconds. But, as with everything, I was in for my own surprise when we discovered that they routinely occupy the front row of the church. I'm thinking this sweet church probably does not have a lot of other large families within so our family filing in and filling the front pew created quite the spectacle. Brad and I work hard on instilling manners and good behaviour in the children but this seemed to loom as the test of a lifetime as this front row pew sat glaring menacingly at me. Before arriving I had visions of filling up a row near the back and close to a door in the event that a quick escape was needed with a wiggly toddler, crying baby or anything and everything that seems to pop up during the most quiet portion of a service. Filled with new determination I just figured this was our new challenge and this is indeed what we work so hard to reap in our children's lives. That they have the ability to not only sit through a service quietly and with respect for the fact that they are in church but to occupy the very front row without disturbance if it is asked of them. The children spoke politely when they were greeted and in general just brought joy to those around them filling both Brad and I with joy, pleasure and gratitude that what we work so hard to teach them does indeed come back hundred fold. With Grandma filled with excitement and pride the children took off with her to greet the church.
Somehow we had managed to pull it off and everyone involved had managed to keep our surprise under wraps. With squeals of delight from Brad's mom the children greeted her. Suddenly the hours of preparation became entirely worthwhile in only seconds. But, as with everything, I was in for my own surprise when we discovered that they routinely occupy the front row of the church. I'm thinking this sweet church probably does not have a lot of other large families within so our family filing in and filling the front pew created quite the spectacle. Brad and I work hard on instilling manners and good behaviour in the children but this seemed to loom as the test of a lifetime as this front row pew sat glaring menacingly at me. Before arriving I had visions of filling up a row near the back and close to a door in the event that a quick escape was needed with a wiggly toddler, crying baby or anything and everything that seems to pop up during the most quiet portion of a service. Filled with new determination I just figured this was our new challenge and this is indeed what we work so hard to reap in our children's lives. That they have the ability to not only sit through a service quietly and with respect for the fact that they are in church but to occupy the very front row without disturbance if it is asked of them. The children spoke politely when they were greeted and in general just brought joy to those around them filling both Brad and I with joy, pleasure and gratitude that what we work so hard to teach them does indeed come back hundred fold. With Grandma filled with excitement and pride the children took off with her to greet the church.
Waiting for them to awakeAs the service began each child sat quietly in their place. Except for a few foot fights between Garrison and Garrett all went exceedingly well as we filled up the pew with quiet, still, non wiggling children. Gavin got a bit vocal as he played happily with his little fan club that sat behind us doting over him so he had to be quieted several times. It only took a grin and smiled quiet command with index finger over pursed lips a few different times to quiet him. Ivye grew fussy in her hunger at one point so she nursed awhile. Upon finishing I handed her over to Brad as I got everything back in order. As all road trips go and completely par for the course, Brad tapped me lightly and smiled as he comically brought attention to her gassiness while the preacher continued on. I thought of maybe giving him a little forewarning but then thought better of it. Of course, nothing would ever come of the fury she seemed to be unleashing on his leg as he bounced her up and down. Suddenly and without much warning baby was jet propelled by strong arms from leg to air as she dangled above and began to drip....preacher continuing on, baby held high for all of congregation to appreciate our current predicament. You'd think after 8 kids you'd be prepared for this scenario since it is, afterall, very much a church scenario......but, nope. So, I quickly grab the nursing blanket, the only thing I could wrap her up in to refrain from leaving a poop trail out the sanctuary doors. Holding her like a ticking time bomb at arms' length we quickly make our exit. Gavin had trailed along behind so as Brad heads to the bathroom to get cleaned up I lay her out in the church floor and begin the mini waterless bath that was required. Grateful for our huge tub of wipes I clean her up and she looses the bloomers in the deal. Amazingly, the dress went unscathed. Gavin ran the hallways happily as I worked. Once she was dressed and clean again I was met by several people in the hall that wanted to talk. Gavin continued running and by the end of the visiting the service had nearly ended. With Ivye now in her wrap we entered back in quietly and finished up the service with the rest of the crew.
We hung out for awhile meeting people and being introduced. We eventually made our way to lunch then headed back to his parents' house for some lazy afternoon conversation and for younger ones to nap while older ones played. All too soon it seemed the sun sloped westward and began melting onto the horizon. Still not ready for the day to come to an end we loaded up and set out for dinner on the town. It seemed that as quickly as the day had begun it was now over. Children with full, contented, ice cream filled tummies gave hugs and said good byes accompanied by many pleas to do it over again tomorrow. After 15 minutes of nothing but hugs and good byes, and I'm quite certain at least 15 different rounds of each, eventually all were loaded. We set off into the sunset splashed sky as one by one children started to drift off, lulled to sleep by the flat plains we traveled and the hum of wheels turning on the west TX asphalt. Brad and I love these times on the road after busy fun filled days, van full of sleeping children. We talked, uninterrupted, late into the night hours as we traveled barren highways in the dark. We talked of the day, how amazing the children were, the fun and success that it was, of our families, the past, the present, the future and everything in between....laughing about it all...lighthearted and more in love than we have ever been.
Both Brad and I could not have been more proud of the children today. As I said, these are the things we prepare them for and expect of them but when out and about and put to the test it is always an amazing thing to see. What we have worked so hard at for so many years begins to take wing and fly. No longer is it like talking to brick walls or spanking concrete but lessons, character and behaviour emerge and they bring joy to not only us but those they meet. It seems at times that it takes years to get to this point....which it does.....but sometimes it seems as though those years may never end. Instead of ever drawing closer to the destination it begins to seem continually out of reach, at times. I know and am reminded each and every time we are in town and showered with compliments that we are indeed getting somewhere but somehow the whole sitting on the front row of church through an entire service is the test of a lifetime in my head. That to me is like potty training or teaching a child to read.....major milestones for each and every one. It does get easier with each and every one but it is still no less of a milestone when reached. So, the fact that not only did they wake at 6 am and spend 3 hrs on the road in church attire and then move from a van seat to a church pew and sit for another 2 hours and continue to behave, not only well but exceptionally well, and still inspire people with awe is huge to me. It is an encouragement to me. I have no doubt that they are well behaved and amazingly happy kids but to have the people around confirm that and affirm you as a mother is perhaps one of the greatest compliments, accomplishments and encouragements that could come on Mother's Day for me. And, even more so, I loved that we were able to bless his parents, surprise his mom and be something that they indeed could proudly introduce as their heritage and take great pride in.
Surely these are indeed the things that make up life.
And to my sweet Mother who I will see in less than a week.....Happy Mother's Day! I miss you dearly but we will do our Mother's Day celebrating this weekend. I cannot wait for another trip up that way and some quality time to have some fun and go party a little....with all 8 in tow! To great summer days spent at the pool....I'm ready to get wet and so are they!





5 comments:
Sounds like you guys had fun, wish we could have gone. Why did you put grand ma in quotation? Isn't that what they call her? :)
Yeah...I really wish y'all could've been there too. It really was a blast. As for Grandma...I didn't want it to sound like she was my grandma, but the children's. LOL! I wanted it to be more personal than putting Pam or Brad's mom so I quotationed it to resolve any confusion that it was my grandma that was there too. It still confused. LOL! Oh well. The general idea was there. Guess I should go take it off since it didn't really serve the purpose it was supposed to. Knew I should've finished those English classes in college. HA!
Hey.....I'm getting speedier about some things after this last ordeal, but still a little slow on reading. I, too, cannot wait for the weekend! We always have soooo much fun. Your post is so beautiful as usual. As you already know my feelings....let me attest again to your faithful endurance to see Godly character in your children. I've always seen it in them because it shines forth from you, but I agree that they are truly coming into their own because of how unselfish they are....a character trait they learned from you and Brad because of the heart of your home. I can't tell you in words just how much I love you and how proud of you I am for being such a warrior and overcomer....not just for yourself, but for Brad and the children. The self sacrifices you've made to create such a spirit of peace and Godly love which is the heart of your home has never gone unnoticed by me...and others. Your children are an obvious testimony to that very fact. Love you so much, Mother
Sounds like fruit is coming forth from all the labor!! What a wonderful surprise for the grandma. Ans wow, what a story with the bird and windshield. Enjoyed reading about all the happenings, and don't forget your welcome anytime!!
Cindy
Ok that makes sense! I was just confused for a sec because Milo calls her Ganmaw.
Post a Comment